Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Whoopie Pies Recipe from Williams Sonoma

On my trip to New York City in March of this year, I bought a whoopie Pie pan from Williams Sonoma. Tonight I used it for the first time. I am helping to raise money for a friend's daughter to take a trip to Washington DC.  So, I have made a batch of whoopie pies to take to work to sell.  I made the recipe that came with the pan, and I also made some strawberry ones.  They are both really good, but my husband liked the strawberry ones the best.  Here is the William Sonoma version.

Whoopie Pies William Sonoma Style
Cookies
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup dutch process cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
23 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
6 TBS unsalted butter, room temp
34 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg, room tep
1 cup buttermilk, room temp

Filling
2 1/4 cups confectioners sugar
5 TBS unsalted butter, room temp
3 TBS milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.  Grease and flour the pan.  In a bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, soda and salt together.
In the bowl of a mixer, beat together the brown sugar and butter on medium speed until combined, about 1 minute.  Add the vanilla and egg and beat until fluffy.  Make sure to stop the mixer several times and scrape down the sides of the bowl.  Reduce to low speed and alternately add the flour and buttermilk in 3 additions, ending with the flour.  Beat after each addition just until incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
Fill each well with 1 1/2 TBS batter.  Tap the pan on the counter to distribute the batter evenly.  If the batter is too thick add 1-2TBS buttermilk to the batter(I should have added more buttermilk, I think mine were a little too thick). Bake 8-10 minutes and then transfer the pan to a wire rack and let the cakes cool in teh pan for a few minutes, then invert them to finish cooling.
To prepare the filling, bet the confectioners sugar, butter, milk, vanilla, and salt on low speed until combined, then increase the speed to medium and bat until fluffy, about 1 minute.
Spread about 2 TBS filling on the flat side of the cakes.  Top with one of the remaining cakes, domed side up.  Makes 12 pies.  (mine made exactly 12 pies)





These are the Williams Sonoma version

These are the Strawberry ones.  I used the same filling recipe as the chocolate ones, but I used a strawberry cake mix for the cookies.


I love this plate! It was a Birthday gift from my friend Pam.  Thank you Pam!


1 comment:

  1. Had so much fun reading your posts, I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this whoopie pie widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about recipes for whoopie pies,Thanks!

    ReplyDelete