Sunday, April 25, 2010

Magnolia Bakery Cupcakes and Happy Birthday Gwyn!


Magnolia's  Vanilla Vanilla Cupcake


Magnolia's Chocolate Vanilla Cupcake

First I want to tell Gwen Happy Birthday! I Love ya!  I don't know what I would do without you because you are a great blessing to me. Thank you so much for everything you do!

If you have never tried a Magnolia Bakery cupcake-then you should definitely make these. Or better yet visit them.  Here is a link to the storehttp://www.magnoliabakery.com/  If you have had these before, then you know already how good they taste.  I have the book "The Complete Magnolia Bakery Cookbook" which is full of wonderful recipes, including the famous "Banana Pudding" recipe. I am posting the recipes here since you can easily find them all over the internet already.  But, I am going to tell you how many calories are in these little treasures.  I have spent several hours working on this today and I believe I have come up with pretty accurate results.  I used to use a program called Master Cook (which I believe is no longer in use) and it was a wonderful recipe/nutrition calculator.  I now have a Mac and cannot find a suitable program.  I have used old fashioned math along with an online search for nutrition analysis. I am counting calories these days and wanted to know that I could fit in an occasional indulgence, as long as I just eat 1 !

Magnolia's Vanilla Cupcakes
1 1/2 cups self rising flour
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, at room temp
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preaheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line 24 cupcake tins with cupcake papers.  Combine flours and set aside.
In a large bowl, and mixer on medium, cream butter until smooth.  Gradually add sugar and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.  Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. Beat until all ingredients are incorporated, but do not over beat.  After the ingredients are completely mixed, spoon the batter into the cupcake papers, about three-quarers full.  Bake 20-25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.  Cool in the tins for 15 minutes.  Remove from tin and cool completely before frosting.  Calories 134 per cupcake.

Vanilla Buttercream
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
6-8 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
Place butter in large mixing bowl.  Add 4 cups of the confectioners sugar and then the milk and vanilla.  On medium speed, beat until smooth and creamy, about 3-5 minutes.  Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. until the icing is thick enough to spread well.  You may not use all of the sugar.  If desired, color the icing with a few drops of food coloring. Use and store the icing at room temp.  It can be kept at room temp in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Calories 187/per 24 cupcakes.

Chocolate Buttercream
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
2 tbs milk
9ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled to lukewarm
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups sifted confectioners sugar
To melt the chocolate, place a double boiler over simmering water on low heat for about 5-10minutes.  Stir until completely melted and let cool to lukewarm.
In a large bowl, mixer on medium, beat the butter until creamy, about 3 minutes.  Add the milk and beat until smooth.  Add the melted chocolate and beat well.  Add the vanilla and beat for 3 minutes.  Gradually add the sugar and beat on low until creamy and a spreadable consistency.  Calories 203/per 24 cupcakes
I hope you love these as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment