Friday, April 8, 2011

Smokehouse Ham, Spoon Bread & Scuppernong Wine

;Smokehouse Ham, Spoon Bread & Scuppernong Wine: The Folklore and Art of Southern Appalachian CookingSmokehouse Ham, Spoon Bread & Scuppernong Wine: The Folklore and Art of Southern Appalachian Cooking by Joseph Dabney
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book is full of stories of the people of the  Smoky Mountains. My favorite chapters are devoted to Fruits.  Some of the mouth watering recipes are:  Stewed Apples, Fried Apples, Apple Dumplings, Peach Cobbler,Peach Butter, Blackberry Cobbler, Scuppernong Jelly,and yes, Scuppernong wine, which I plan to try!  Now, I will warn you that there are recipes for some things that I will not try, such as Turtle Stew, Squirrel Pie, and Possum and Sweet Potatoes.  However, there are enough great ones like Tomato Gravy, Mint Juleps, Angel Biscuits spoon bread, and apple butter to more than make up for the unusable ones.  If you want to cook up some serious southern food that is sure to be authentic and delicious, you cannot go wrong with this book!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment