Sunday, March 7, 2010

Devil's Food Layer Cake fromWilliam Sonoma's "Comfort Food"


This is the second recipe I have made from this book and the secon recipe that I will share.  Although, I will probable just show photo's from future recipes that I make from it.  Again, I have to say that I think this book is a Winner! I used Special Dark Cocoa from Hershey, and if I make it again, I will just use regular cocoa.  This was just about too much chocolate. Oh wait, I can't believe that I wrote that. Can there ever really be too much chocolate? Oh,I dont think that is a possibility. I will say that this was wonderful with a scoop of vanilla ic cream.
Boiling water, 1 cup
Unsweetened natural cocoa powder, 3/4 cup(use regular unsweetened cocoa instead of the special dark)
All purpose flour, 1 3/4 cups
Baking soda, 1 1/2 tsp
Fine sea salt, 1/4 tsp
Sugar, 2 cups
Unsalted butter, 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbs@room temp
Large eggs, 3(at room temp)
Pure vanilla extract, 1 tsp
Buttermilk, 1 1/4 cups

Chocolate Frosting
Confectioners sugar, 3 3/4 cups
Unwseetened natural cocoa powder, 1 cup
Unsalted butter, 1/2 cup @room temp
Pure vanilla extract, 1 tsp
Heavy cream, about 1 cup

Makes 10 servings
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter 2-9" pans.  Dust the pans with flour.

In a samll heatproof bowl, whisk the cocoa and boiling water until sit aside and let cool completely.  In another bowl, sift the flour, baking soda and salt.Using a hand held mixer, on medium speed, beat togetherlight in color.  Beat in thee eggs, one at a time.  Then add the vanilla and the cooled cocoa mixture.  Reduce the mixer speed to loww and add the flour and alternate with the buttermilk in 3 additions.  Dvide the mixture evenly into the prepared pans and bake approximately 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Remove from the pans and let cool completely on a cooling rack.
To make the frosting, sift togetther the confectioners sugar and cocoa.  Using the mixer on low speed, mix in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.  Mix in the vanilla and gradually add the cream until it reaches a good consistency for spreading..  Put at least 1/2 cup frosting between the layers.  Then frost the top before the sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment